Sage On The Water Fishing Experience at Sage Lodge
Sage Lodge is excited to announce a partnership with Sage Fly Fishing, an innovative, world-class manufacturer of performance fly fishing equipment for the Sage On The Water Fishing Experience at Sage Lodge.
Taking advantage of the incredible location, we’ve paired veteran, professional guided fishing on some of Montana’s most famous and productive waters with curated Perfect Setups from Sage. During their stay, anglers will have access to all three of the following areas: the Yellowstone River, Yellowstone National Park and the storied Paradise Valley private Spring Creeks. Depending on the locale, the quarry may be brown trout, rainbow trout, brook trout or native Yellowstone River cutthroat trout. Each venue presents anglers unique challenges and rewards, and the Perfect Setups combine the right rods, reels and lines for each locale. Upon arrival, guests will receive an orientation to the Perfect Setups, the check-in/check-out process, as well as an introduction to the guided fishing days.
The Fishing Venues
- Yellowstone River – The Yellowstone is the longest undammed river in the contiguous United States and its watershed is the source and stronghold of beautiful, native Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. Anglers staying at Sage Lodge have easy access to over 50 miles of trout water on the Yellowstone, from Gardiner to east of Livingston. Fishing on the Yellowstone is done primarily out of drift boats, though there are ample opportunities to anchor and wade-fish productive riffle sections. Tactics and techniques on the Yellowstone vary, depending on timing. The height of summer shows anglers incredible dry fly fishing with hopper and terrestrial patterns; fall and spring will bring success on streamers; there are also localized mayfly hatches in spring and fall; pre-runoff caddis fishing can be excellent, and subsurface nymph or soft hackle fishing is productive most months.
- Yellowstone National Park – The National Park offers a lifetime of fly fishing. It is a wade-angler’s dream, from Memorial Day Weekend through October. The headwaters of some of the West’s famed rivers lie in the park – Yellowstone, Madison, Gallatin, Snake – as well as famous smaller waters like Slough and Soda Butte Creeks and the Firehole, Gibbon, Gardner and Lamar Rivers. Hatches occur in the National Park throughout the fishing season, though in the absence of bugs on the water, subsurface nymphing is also effective. Terrestrial dry fly fishing can be spectacular in summer and spring and fall are great times to fish streamers or swing soft hackles.
- Paradise Valley Private Spring Creeks – The famed Paradise Valley Spring Creeks – DePuy, Armstrong and Nelson’s – are a short drive north from the Sage Lodge. The Spring Creeks offer year-round accessibility to challenging rainbow, brown and cutthroat trout. The settings are intimate, and anglers are rewarded for stealth and patience. The Creeks are bug factories, with the major hatches including Pale Morning Duns, Blue Wing Olives, Caddis, and midges. Sight-fishing is often the approach while on the Spring Creeks, and in a heavy hatch, the targets are numerous. A day or two on the Spring Creeks is a perfect complement to the bigger Yellowstone River and the freestones of Yellowstone National park.
The Perfect Setups
Each of the three fishing venues visited while at Sage Lodge present anglers with a variety of fishing situations, and several different techniques are utilized. Having the right equipment to match the different tactics is paramount, so Sage Fly Fishing has assembled the Perfect Setups for each fishery.
- Dry Fly & Dry-Dropper: 590-4 X, SPECTRUM LT 5/6, RIO Perception
- When fishing small to medium dry flies or attractors like blue wing olives, caddis, Wulffs, Trudes, etc., the 590-4 X excels paired with a Perception fly line excels. This outfit generates enough line speed to cut through the infamous Paradise Valley breezes, but offers accuracy and delicacy to present to rising fish.
- Terrestrial/Big Bug/Streamer: 691-4 IGNITER, SPECTRUM MAX 5/6, RIO Grand & StreamerTip
- Summertime on the Yellowstone is hopper time, and the right tool for the job is a rod and line that can cast wind-resistant flies great distances, into the wind, with accuracy. The 691-4 IGNITER matched with a RIO Grand does just this. This setup also includes RIO’s Floating/Intermediate StreamerTip line, for use with streamer patterns.
Yellowstone National Park
- Dry Fly & Nymphing: 490-4 X, SPECTRUM LT 4/5, RIO Perception
- Summertime in Yellowstone offers anglers a plethora of fishy, buggy water. The multi-application X rod is the best choice to employ both surface and subsurface presentations. The 490-4 is a perfect size for the water and fish to be encountered.
- Pocket Water Dry Fly: 376-3 DART, CLICK 3/4/5, RIO Creek
- Among Yellowstone’s wide variety of water types are smaller rivers and creeks where the casts aren’t long and water is covered quickly. In these situations, a short rod with a quick-shooting fly line is advantageous; the 7’6”, 3-weight DART rod, matched with RIO’s Creek line is our favorite.
Paradise Valley Private Spring Creeks
- Presentation Dry Fly: 490-4 TROUT LL, SPECTRUM LT 4/5, RIO Gold
- When a hatch is in full-effect on the Spring Creeks, anglers need a tool that accurately and delicately delivers dry flies. The 490-4 TROUT LL rod does just that; its modern, moderate action ensures line control and soft presentations to finnicky trout.
- Tight Quarters Dry Fly: 476-3 DART, CLICK 3/4/5, RIO Creek
- There are areas of the Spring Creeks where the banks are high, trees or bushes are close behind, or the creek narrows. In these instances, a shorter rod is preferred. The 7’6”, 4-weight DART rod handles these situations with ease and RIO’s Creek line has a taper to make quick, accurate shots.
- Five nights, four days of accommodations and meals at the Sage Lodge (lunches are served on the water with guides).
- Four days guided fishing with professional, experienced guides from Angler’s West Flyfishing Outfitters (Matson Rogers MT Outfitter license #5137, YNP CUA 14-208, Gallatin-Custer National Forest Permittee).
- Use of Sage Perfect Setups on guided fishing trips: two unique rod, reel and line setups are available for each fishing venue.
- Also included is a special VIP welcome package.
What’s Not Included
Airfare, airport transfers, rental car, gratuities, fishing licenses, private water fees and alcohol. Waders and boots are not included, but are available to rent from Angler’s West Flyfishing Outfitters. Advance reservations are recommended.
$2,999 for a 5 night/4 day package, per angler, based on double occupancy.
Package is inclusive of lodging, dining, and guided fishing and is based on double occupancy. The daily meal plan is per person per night, and includes breakfast, lunch and dinner each day, with lunch and dinner on the day of arrival, and breakfast on the day of departure. Packages are based on availability in regards to guide availability and inclement weather or water conditions. For packages, 60-day notice is required to receive a full refund of your deposit amount. Cancellations made between 30-60 days will result in 50% forfeiture of package cost. Cancellations made within 30 days of arrival result in 100% forfeiture of package cost. We recommend the purchase of travel insurance to help protect you against financial loss if you must cancel or interrupt your trip due to unforeseen circumstances. MT Outfitter Matson Rogers Lic# 5137
YELLOWSTONE THERMAL TOUR
See the best thermal sights of the park with insider knowledge from your local guide.
WHITE WATER RAFTING OR SCENIC FLOAT
Take a wild ride or a relaxing float down the Yellowstone River, then head back to the Lodge for a true Montana meal.
ULTIMATE FLY FISHING ESCAPE
Whether you want to come and fish for two days or ten, our expert team can help you craft a seamless fishing vacation. Packages include lodging, guided fly fishing and meals.
Advance reservations required; subject to availability; blackout dates may apply; cannot be combined with any other offer, discount or existing contract. Group rates only available to parties requiring 10 or more guestrooms per night. Rates do not include tax, Resort Fee, or service charge, unless otherwise noted. Rates are subject to change.
THE ULTIMATE GETAWAY
Distinctive Montana hospitality amidst rugged beauty on the banks of the Yellowstone River.